The aim of this open-label randomized controlled trial conducted in four African countries (Madagascar, Niger, Central African Republic and Senegal) is to compare three strategies of renutrition for moderate acute malnutrition (MAM) in children based on modulation of the gut microbiota with enriched flours alone, enriched flours with prebiotics or enriched flours coupled with antibiotic treatment. Cognitive development of children (Senegal) will also be studied and compared.
How well do different food compositions and interventions prevent or treat undernutrition, when implemented "on the ground"?
- World Health Organization. "Technical note: supplementary foods for the management of moderate acute malnutrition in infants and children 6–59 months of age." (2012).
- Suri, D., et al. (2013). "Protein Quality Workshop: Importance of Protein Quality in Prevention and Treatment of Child Malnutrition." Food & Nutrition Bulletin 34 (2): 223-223.
- 2013 Maternal and Child Nutrition series - The Lancet
- Webb, Patrick. "Standards of Evidence for Research on ‘What Works’ in the Management of MAM." (2014).
- Annan, Reginald A., Patrick Webb, and Rebecca Brown. "Management of Moderate Acute Malnutrition (MAM): Current Knowledge and Practice."(2014).
- Webb, Patrick, Erin Boyd, Saskia de Pee, Lindsey Lenters, Martin Bloem and Werner Schultink. "Nutrition in Emergencies: Do We Know What Works?" Food Policy 49, (2014): 33-40.