Effect of nutrition-improved food on the health of primary school children in Morobe province
- Jayashree Arcot
Study PeriodFebruary 2017 - December 2017
This study will be assessing the efficacy of micronutrient fortified biscuits on improving the nutrition status of children aged between 5 and 12 years in schools within the city of Lae, and on the rural fringe. Two schools will be selected from urban Lae, and two will be selected from rural Lae for the study, which is planned to commence in February 2017 and conclude in December 2017 for a full school year. This equates to approximately 200 school days.
- Interventional: micronutrient fortified biscuits
- Control: wheat flour-based biscuits with the same macronutrient profile and sensory/organoleptic characteristics as the intervention product, but with the exclusion of added vitamins or minerals
- A change in blood haemoglobin concentration
- Standard Fortified Food Blends
- Micronutrient powders (MNP)
How well do different food compositions and interventions prevent or treat undernutrition, when implemented "on the ground"?
How well do different food compositions and interventions prevent or treat undernutrition, when implemented in a completely controlled environment?