Evaluating different options of supplementary food for malnourished Anganwadi going children in selected Anganwadis in Mumbai Suburbs
This work is undertaken to add to the available options of "supplementary foods" useful in quick attainment to normal growth. To test the efficacy of two identified supplementary food options for Moderately Acute Malnourished Children vis-a-vis the ICDS supplied hot-cooked meals in the targeted anganwadis. The period of intervention is 3 months integrarting following study design.
A three armed study with sample size of 90 MAM children in Anganwadis of Jogeswari and Goregaon, Mumbai will be done where they are already given Hot Cooked Meal (HCM) by ICDS.
Arm 1: 30 MAM children will be provided with ready- to – use supplement (RUSF) developed using Soya-based formulation prepared at the nutrition rehabilitation center (Sion-Hospital)
Arm -2 :30 MAM children will be provided with Ladoos prepared at the kitchen of Sidhi Vinayak Trust and distributed
Arm-3 (Control) :30 MAM children consuming ICDS provided hot-cooked meal (HCM) will be monitored and compared for Anthropometry after 3 months.
The additional ~ 245 Kcal that will be provided by the ladoo and RuSF (with Micronutrients Fortification) is useful and required for moderately malnourished kids along with government (ICDS) provided HCM to revive their growth back to normal.
- Intervention 1) Boondi Laddoo (55 gms containing 245 Kcal, 2.8 g of proteins per day)
- Intervention 2) Soy based RUSF(45 g containing 245 Kcal, 6.6 g proteins per day). Spot feeding, 7 days a week for 12 Weeks.
- Active competitor: Hot Cooked Meal; Supplementation currently provided through ICDS, Hot Cooked Meal given 6 days/wk.
- To evaluate status change, if any, of MAM children based on their Anthropometry Data after 3 months of administering the designed supplementation
- Standard Fortified Food Blends
- Locally produced